Way to Go! Commuter Challenge
What Is It?
Way to Go! Commuter Challenge is an annual one-week event to encourage everyone to use a transportation alternative including: walking, biking, carpooling, transit and telecommuting. This year’s Way to Go! Commuter Challenge will be May 16th to May 20th, 2011.
Participation in 2010 topped 3,000 folks pledging to use cheaper, healthier, and more earth-friendly transportation alternatives to driving alone. Together, commuters saved 220,000 miles for the week, 9,758 gallons of fuel,nearly $30,000 in transportation costs, and 200,000 pounds of transportation pollutants.
This is a terrific project for energy committees to help to promote and all are encouraged to help tackle the transportation sector by promoting this program locally. Everyone who signs up will receive a free one-week gym membership, coupons for local goods, and entry into a raffle drawing of great prizes.
It’s easy to participate. All the materials you need to promote the event, including posters and brochures, promotional tips, and tabling materials are available in downloadable format at www.waytogovt.org.
Be sure to check out the special events and trainings in April to help promote statewide participation under events on the home page. Be sure to spread the word and particpate in the business share and learns, dates and locations TBA soon. You can begin promotion as early as your local kickoff meeting. A schedule will be posted on teh Way to Go! website, so check in often for updates. Getting an early start will help boost participation and a willingness to shift to a more earth-friendly form of transportation.
New to Way to Go! this year is the Carbon Cup, a beautiful award to be displayed at the winners’ town hall or place of business. The Carbon Cup will be awarded by a local celebrity to one community and business in each award category as determined by our judges. The awards will be given to communities and employers, with several employer size categories.
How To Get Started With A Group Or Community
- Check out the Way to Go! website www.waytogovt.org
- Encourage folks to sign up for Go Vermont at www.connectingcommuters.org
- Identify any volunteers that might want to help with this project.
- Download helpful materials.
- Identify upcoming events where you might have an information table (Way to Go! organizers and partners are ready to help you begin promotion in your community and workplace).
- Identify businesses/ groups that you already have connections with to let them know about the Challenge. Ask employer representatives to visit the Way to Go! website and sign up their workplace (no fee or obligation, simply a pledge and commitment to encouarge participation and receive recognition as well).
- Set up meetings with their CEO’s and local leaders and introduce them to the program
- Brainstorm ideas for tailoring outreach, education and promotional events to meet your needs
- Plan your own on-site events and encourage others to do the same.
- Track results and provide recognition
- Call Way to Go! Commuter Challenge organizers for specific assistance.
- Reduce pollution from transportation including harmful greenhouse gas emissions
- Save money on gasoline and fuel
- Improve your physical health as well as the health of your community
- Reduces transportation infrastructure costs
- Keeps dollars in the local economy
Way to Go! Commuter Challenge, www.waytogovt.org
Go Vermont, www.connectingcommuters.org